"AND LET US RUN WITH ENDURANCE THE RACE GOD HAS SET BEFORE US." Hebrews 12:3a

Some days I just feel like a frog in a frying pan...

There's a story that's been told about two frogs who fell into a vat of cream. These frogs knew they would soon die if they didn't keep paddling as fast as they could yet, try as they might, they could not jump out. It was not long before the first little frog became too tired to go on. He gave up, and, alas, he drowned in that vat of cream. The second frog persevered until he eventually churned that cream into butter. He was able to stand on top of the butter and hop out of the vat safe and sound - though very, very tired!

I remembered this little fable often during the time that my brother was sick. No matter how much pain he was in or how bleak the future looked, he kept leaning on God and fighting the good fight. When it took 3 1/2 years to receive his transplant - he kept fighting. When he developed complications from the transplant - he kept fighting. When he spent 9 months in the hospital away from his family and friends - he kept fighting. When his body literally petrified, leaving him paralyzed - he kept fighting. When he was in excruciating pain - he kept fighting.

It was not long before the mantra FROG - Fully Rely On God - began to have a deeper meaning to us. He was still leaning on God and fighting the good fight until God answered our prayers to heal him by taking him Home. That was eight years ago, but I still miss him dearly. And every time I see a frog, I think of him and feel challenged to Fully Rely On God - to fight the good fight - no matter what life throws my way. That's what this blog is about - the things God is teaching me and the tools He is giving me to walk that walk. Or should I say hop that hop - because sometimes life just feels like a great big frying pan!


Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Four Nameless Unsung Heroes

Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralyzed man, "My child, your sins are forgiven."
                                            Mark 2:5

     Now, I don’t know if I have mentioned here that I didn’t grow up going to church and hearing Bible stories. Of course, over the years I have read and heard a great deal of them, but I think the fact that I can remember not knowing them gives me a different perspective. Not necessarily better mind you, just different. This occasionally leaves me in awe over the simplest little things that could seem so insignificant. As we’ve been reading Mark the past several days, I had one of those spine-tingling “aha” moments that I’d like to share with you. Let me warn you, though. As has been His practice throughout this journey thus far, God uses it to take us out of our comfort zone so strap on your seat belt!
     The little story I’m talking about is the four friends – whose names don’t even get to be mentioned for crying out loud – who went to such great lengths to get their friend to Jesus so He could heal him. These guys are huge unsung heroes in my book! They went through a lot to make this happen for their friend. First of all it took four of them to carry the guy there. Remember they didn’t have nice little gurneys to roll him on. Then when they got there, the crowd was so thick they couldn’t get through to Jesus! But they didn’t let this stop them. They came up with plan B. They decided to cut a hole in this poor guy’s roof and lower their friend down in front of Jesus. Imagine all the planning and hard, physical labor this took. Yes, I know roofs back then weren’t built like they are today, but I still don’t think it would have been an easy task to complete. Imagine their sense of satisfaction when their goal was complete and they lowered their friend down to Jesus. Can you just see the looks on the faces of the people – especially the religious leaders? Who says the Bible doesn’t contain humor? Jesus didn’t even question them. The Bible says “Seeing THEIR faith, he said to the paralyzed man, ‘’your sins are forgiven.’” Have you ever wondered where this left the other four men? I can’t help but wonder if they had already heard the Good News and accepted Jesus. Otherwise how would they have known and been so diligent to bring their friend to Him?
    This portion of this little story only takes up five short verses before the teachers of religious law have to have their say, but I think we can learn a lot from these nameless heroes. First, they were diligent. Their friend had a spiritual and physical need, and they weren’t going to give up until those needs were met. They didn’t have to do this for him, but they chose to. When plan A didn’t work they could have said “OH well, we tried. Sorry buddy. Too bad.” But they didn’t. They persevered until the job was done. I have to ask myself when the last time was I cared enough about someone else’s physical and spiritual needs this much. How much have I ever sacrificed for someone’s salvation? When plan A doesn’t work do I press on to Plan B and Plan C and Plan D until the goal is complete? Where is my focus?
     These guys didn’t worry that they weren’t going to get close to Jesus. It was okay that their friend was getting a front row seat while they were still on the roof. Not only were they still on the roof, I imagine they were being accosted by the homeowner wanting to know what in the world they planned to do about the hole they had just put in his roof! Good news is now the paralyzed man could help them fix it, right? Point is they weren’t concerned with getting recognition. If they were they wouldn’t even have considered going through the roof in my opinion.
     These guys had to be unified. To make this plan work they had to work together. If they hadn’t, can you imagine the mess? Why, there would have been four different holes in that poor man’s roof, and you have to wonder if the paralyzed man would have made it down one of them alive! Now this is assuming, of course, that they would have been able to cooperate with one another long enough to carry him there. But thank goodness for the paralyzed man his friends did not have this problem. They were unified and worked together. They were awesome friends, indeed!
     If these guys had not filled the paralyzed man’s need, he could not have gotten to Jesus by himself that day. I must realize that sometimes I am the only “Bible” someone might see. I am the one sent to make a difference in their life, and I can’t pass the buck because it is my responsibility!
     Five short verses. Four silent men. One huge impact. These guys have taught me I need to be more mindful of the spiritual and physical needs of those around me. I need to be more diligent about meeting those needs. Lackluster attempts don’t reap rewards for those I am trying to reach out to. This should go without saying, but how often do we throw out token little acts and pat ourselves on the back for our good deeds not really checking on the person we were “ministering” to? Too often I dare say! I must answer my call! I must fulfill my responsibilities! Unity is of utmost importance. We accomplish much more working together. And last but not least, the goal of my ministry is not to gain recognition, but to meet the needs of others. Period. If I am working for accolades, then I have lost sight of the fact that I have been called to the Priesthood not the mehood!
     I want to leave you with one final thought. We all know people who remind us of these four nameless, unsung heroes. They are compassionate. They work diligently to meet the physical and spiritual needs of others. They never seek or desire recognition. They are cooperative and always willing to lend a hand where they are needed. These people seem to be born to serve. Find that person this week and tell them you appreciate how faithful and obedient they are to God’s call. It is no easier for them than it is for you or me but I daresay it would be nice to hear, “Well done! Thank you!” once in awhile.

     As for me, I am going to take this forum to say, Daddy, you are my unsung hero. You are always there to help anyone, anywhere, anytime. You are just as concerned about a person’s spiritual needs as you are their physical needs. You work tirelessly, often without even being asked. You seem to have a sense for knowing what people need without them having to voice it. Your easy-going manner speaks to people with love just as loudly as your words do. I am honored to be your daughter. Thank you for the wonderful example you set not only for me, but for your grandchildren as well. I love you!

Lord, thank you for these four heroes of the Bible and the lessons we have learned from them. Help us apply them in our everyday walk. Show us the people to reach out to. Show us the ways to reach out. Give us a boldness to leave our comfort zone and focus on you and not ourselves or our busy lives. Help us also to see the unsung hero in our life that you would have us speak to this week. Give us the words they need to hear. What a mighty and awesome God we serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment