"AND LET US RUN WITH ENDURANCE THE RACE GOD HAS SET BEFORE US." Hebrews 12:3a

Some days I just feel like a frog in a frying pan...

There's a story that's been told about two frogs who fell into a vat of cream. These frogs knew they would soon die if they didn't keep paddling as fast as they could yet, try as they might, they could not jump out. It was not long before the first little frog became too tired to go on. He gave up, and, alas, he drowned in that vat of cream. The second frog persevered until he eventually churned that cream into butter. He was able to stand on top of the butter and hop out of the vat safe and sound - though very, very tired!

I remembered this little fable often during the time that my brother was sick. No matter how much pain he was in or how bleak the future looked, he kept leaning on God and fighting the good fight. When it took 3 1/2 years to receive his transplant - he kept fighting. When he developed complications from the transplant - he kept fighting. When he spent 9 months in the hospital away from his family and friends - he kept fighting. When his body literally petrified, leaving him paralyzed - he kept fighting. When he was in excruciating pain - he kept fighting.

It was not long before the mantra FROG - Fully Rely On God - began to have a deeper meaning to us. He was still leaning on God and fighting the good fight until God answered our prayers to heal him by taking him Home. That was eight years ago, but I still miss him dearly. And every time I see a frog, I think of him and feel challenged to Fully Rely On God - to fight the good fight - no matter what life throws my way. That's what this blog is about - the things God is teaching me and the tools He is giving me to walk that walk. Or should I say hop that hop - because sometimes life just feels like a great big frying pan!


Sunday, February 28, 2010

Hey, Goofball, Listen Up!

  “This is my dearly loved Son. Listen to Him.” Mark 9:7b

   What is it about slapstick comedy that intrigues us so much? Whether it was Laurel tripping Hardy; Larry slapping Mo; or Jethro Gibs popping Tony Denozo on the back of the head, we get a kick out of it. Under normal circumstances their actions wouldn’t be socially acceptable yet we’ll pay good money or make sure we DVR NCIS for the opportunity to watch their outlandish antics. Now, I’m not a huge fan of this genre of comedy, but as I read Mark 9: 1-10, my imagination ran away with a slap stick scenario that I’ve got to share with you – even at the risk of being called sacrilegious.
     Can’t you imagine the disciples got up every morning wondering what Jesus was going to do next? Every day brought something more spectacular than before. One day they watched as He healed a leper and made a blind man see. The next He cast out demons, walked on the water, and raised someone from the dead. Their reactions were not always what we would expect from 12 men who dropped everything at a moment’s notice to follow a man they had never met, but let’s cut them a little slack. There wasn’t really any precedent for how one reacts to seeing an actual person walk on the water. Red Sea part, yes – Noah’s ark, yes - walk on the water – no. They were definitely learning all about faith up close and personal!
     And then just about the time they thought they had seen everything, Jesus took Peter, James and John to the top of a mountain so they could be alone. The next thing they knew Jesus was glowing, wearing a dazzling, white robe and talking to Elijah and Moses. Elijah and Moses!? Ok, these guys disappeared from the scene hundreds of years before Peter, James and John entered the picture! You got to love Peter. He really didn’t know what to say or how to react, but can’t you almost feel his desire to do the right thing here? Jesus had been teaching them lesson after lesson, and I’m sure Peter wanted to make sure he handled this situation right. He was terrified and felt the need to DO something so, true to his nature, he reacted impulsively. He suggested they build a memorial to all three of these great men right there. There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with that suggestion – except for one thing. This was Peter’s idea, not God’s. It had nothing to do with why they were there. Peter was focused in the wrong place. This dark cloud all of a sudden overshadows them and a voice speaks to them from the cloud.

“This is my dearly loved Son. Listen to Him.” Mark 9:7b

     Now here is where my imagination kicked into overdrive. I get this mental image of this huge hand reaching down and slapping Peter on the back of the head, and the voice saying,

“Hey, goofball, listen up! This is my Son!”

     Now we know that God doesn’t reach down and pop us on the back of the head to get our attention. That is not my point. (Though the mental image is kind of funny, you have to admit. But I digress….) My point is I can learn a lot from Peter here. First, I need to listen. If I am too busy shooting off my mouth with the first thing that comes to mind, I miss God’s message. Second, even a good deed may not be the right one. I have to listen to God’s direction and do what fits into His plan for my life. Otherwise I am going to lose focus and get way off task. Third, Jesus is God’s Son. There are so many voices in the world today vying for my attention, but the only one I need to listen to is His. “Listen up!” God said. “This is my Son!”
    
Lord, sometimes I think things might be easier if you would just pop me in the back of the head when I lose focus or start to make a bad decision. But, alas, there is no hand. You have done something even better. You have given me Your Holy Spirit to live with me always and guide my every move, my every decision. Help me learn from Peter. Help me remember there are times it is important that I just stop and listen. When the time for action comes, give me the discernment to know and help me act wisely and boldly in a way that brings you honor and glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment