"AND LET US RUN WITH ENDURANCE THE RACE GOD HAS SET BEFORE US." Hebrews 12:3a

Some days I just feel like a frog in a frying pan...

There's a story that's been told about two frogs who fell into a vat of cream. These frogs knew they would soon die if they didn't keep paddling as fast as they could yet, try as they might, they could not jump out. It was not long before the first little frog became too tired to go on. He gave up, and, alas, he drowned in that vat of cream. The second frog persevered until he eventually churned that cream into butter. He was able to stand on top of the butter and hop out of the vat safe and sound - though very, very tired!

I remembered this little fable often during the time that my brother was sick. No matter how much pain he was in or how bleak the future looked, he kept leaning on God and fighting the good fight. When it took 3 1/2 years to receive his transplant - he kept fighting. When he developed complications from the transplant - he kept fighting. When he spent 9 months in the hospital away from his family and friends - he kept fighting. When his body literally petrified, leaving him paralyzed - he kept fighting. When he was in excruciating pain - he kept fighting.

It was not long before the mantra FROG - Fully Rely On God - began to have a deeper meaning to us. He was still leaning on God and fighting the good fight until God answered our prayers to heal him by taking him Home. That was eight years ago, but I still miss him dearly. And every time I see a frog, I think of him and feel challenged to Fully Rely On God - to fight the good fight - no matter what life throws my way. That's what this blog is about - the things God is teaching me and the tools He is giving me to walk that walk. Or should I say hop that hop - because sometimes life just feels like a great big frying pan!


Saturday, January 16, 2010

You'll Never Guess What Happened Today, Mom!

I can’t seem to get Matthew 14 out of my mind. There is some powerful stuff there! Yesterday I wrote about Herodias. God has used her to show me that my focus cannot be on the people around me and the emotions they invoke in me with their actions.


Ah, but His message doesn’t stop there! In the next few verses Jesus is preaching to the 5,000 and the disciples want Him to let them go home because they need to eat. When Jesus’ reply is, “Feed them” they don’t focus on the person in front of them that has been performing miracle after miracle before their very eyes. No, they focus on their lack of supplies and money. “Feed them?” they say. “Feed them with what? We only have five loaves and two fish.” Now, the little boy who was willing to give up his lunch – he was focused on Jesus. Can you imagine the awe and wonder he must have had as he willingly and innocently handed over the food his mother had so lovingly packed for him? Of course, he would give his lunch to this wonderful man! The scriptures don’t say all of this, of course, but I can’t help but wonder if he was just mesmerized by just being in Jesus’ presence. I would like to have been a fly on the wall when he went home that afternoon and his mom asked, “How was your day?” I don’t imagine she got a one word, “Fine.” Do you? We should be more like that little boy! He didn’t know what Jesus was going to do, but he didn’t stand their wringing his hands, either.

The disciples didn’t have the child-like faith of the little boy, but at least they were not like Herodias in that they did change their focus and listened to Jesus instructions. The consequences of their doubt, frustration, and worrying changed when their focus changed so they had the unbelievable privilege of being used by Jesus when he performed one of the most well-known miracles chronicled in the Bible. It must have been awesome to watch as the contents of that humble lunch fed 5,000 men and their families – with leftovers to boot!

My focus cannot be on the material things I do or do not have. God will provide my needs – often far and above anything I can even dream or imagine. Certainly beyond anything I deserve! When I do focus on things, I experience unnecessary worry, fear, and anxiety; however, when I give my circumstances over to God, I experience peace, comfort, and security with a side of blessings beyond belief! It goes against my sinful nature, but when I look at it like that, why would I ever want to focus on anything but Jesus?

Lord, thank you for your provision and blessings. I am so unworthy and you are so merciful and loving! Forgive me for the times I lose my focus and look at the people and things around me instead of at you. Thank you for all you are teaching me about my focus. May my eyes and heart be receptive to the messages you are giving me. May I be mindful minute by minute, second by second throughout every day to stay focused on YOU! And may I be so focused I hear when you ask for “my lunch”.

No comments:

Post a Comment