"AND LET US RUN WITH ENDURANCE THE RACE GOD HAS SET BEFORE US." Hebrews 12:3a

Some days I just feel like a frog in a frying pan...

There's a story that's been told about two frogs who fell into a vat of cream. These frogs knew they would soon die if they didn't keep paddling as fast as they could yet, try as they might, they could not jump out. It was not long before the first little frog became too tired to go on. He gave up, and, alas, he drowned in that vat of cream. The second frog persevered until he eventually churned that cream into butter. He was able to stand on top of the butter and hop out of the vat safe and sound - though very, very tired!

I remembered this little fable often during the time that my brother was sick. No matter how much pain he was in or how bleak the future looked, he kept leaning on God and fighting the good fight. When it took 3 1/2 years to receive his transplant - he kept fighting. When he developed complications from the transplant - he kept fighting. When he spent 9 months in the hospital away from his family and friends - he kept fighting. When his body literally petrified, leaving him paralyzed - he kept fighting. When he was in excruciating pain - he kept fighting.

It was not long before the mantra FROG - Fully Rely On God - began to have a deeper meaning to us. He was still leaning on God and fighting the good fight until God answered our prayers to heal him by taking him Home. That was eight years ago, but I still miss him dearly. And every time I see a frog, I think of him and feel challenged to Fully Rely On God - to fight the good fight - no matter what life throws my way. That's what this blog is about - the things God is teaching me and the tools He is giving me to walk that walk. Or should I say hop that hop - because sometimes life just feels like a great big frying pan!


Sunday, January 17, 2010

Shhhhh.....I'm Here. Don't Worry

     Can you remember? Think back. The wind is blowing so hard you can hear it whipping the rain angrily against your window. The thunder is so loud you’re fairly certain it’s coming from inside your bedroom not outside in the storm, but you’re not going to peak outside the blankets to find out. The lightening is so close and so bright you fear it’s going to strike you any minute. Your heart is racing so hard you can hardly breathe. You are completely terrified with every fiber of your being. You can only think of one thing – reaching the safety and security of mom or dad’s arms.

     “Shhhh,” your parent says as he or she holds you tightly and caresses your damp hair. “I’m right here. Don’t be afraid. It’s going to be ok.” And everything seems alright again . . . until you hear that enormous clap of thunder and see that horrendous bolt of lightening through the window. Oh no, you realize! That horrible wind is still trying to destroy the house and . . .
     And then you hear it. “Mama’s got you.” Or “Daddy’s got you.” And you know everything is going to be okay because your parents would never let anything bad happen to you.
     What was the difference? The storm was still raging as strong as ever. The people hadn’t moved away from the storm. The only factor different in this little story is the focus. As long as the child focused on the storm, she was terrified and panicked. When she ran to her “savior”, her parents in this situation, she felt safe, secure and peaceful even though the wind still blew, the thunder still clapped, and the lightening still lit up the sky.
     Peter and the disciples were in just such a situation once on a boat in the middle of the sea. They began calling out for Jesus to save them, and then there He was – walking toward them on the water. Now, I don’t care how scared you are, that would have to catch your attention for at least a little while! And, well, it did. But instead of recognizing that it was Jesus answering their call, they were even more afraid.
     “A ghost!” they cried out.
     “Shhhh,” Jesus comforted them. “Don’t be afraid. I’m here.”
     Well, Peter wanted proof. If this was Jesus, he wanted to be able to walk on the water, too. (When you were a child, did you ever ask your parents to prove they were your mom or dad before you would climb up in their lap for comfort? No!) But Peter climbed out of the boat, and, sure enough, walked on the water until . . . he changed his focus from Jesus back to the storm and became afraid again. Then he sank in the sea, and typical of us silly humans, cried out to Jesus again.
     “I told you I’m right here,” Jesus said. “Didn’t you believe me?” And he not only rescued Peter He calmed the storm – He dealt with the situation.
     My focus cannot be on people. My focus cannot be on material things. My focus cannot be on the situation around me – no matter how frightening or scary they may be. Jesus is there saying, “Shhhh, my child, I’m right here. Don’t be afraid. I’ve got you.” And no matter how much I may want to deal with the problems at hand, I can no more change the world around me than I can calm a raging storm. But, praise God, I know the One who can, and He holds me in His hand. He’ll not only control the storm, but I may even get to walk on the water if I stay focused on Him.
     “Shhhh, Robin,” He says. “I’ve got you. Don’t be afraid.”
   And then I’ve got a choice to make. Where do I focus? One direction leads to fear, frustration and failure. The other leads to peace, power, and provision. Seems like a no-brainer when He puts it like that, huh?

     Lord, thank you for your patience.  Thank you for always being there through the storms and through the beautiful, sunny days.  Thank you for giving me peace and providing me with all that I need to survive the storms that come my way.  I understand you have not promised there won't be storms, but I acknowledge your power to deal them and your understanding to know the best way.  Help me keep my focus on you and not allow fear to distract me.  Help me have faith to step out of the boat when you ask me to walk on the water.  Be with my family and friends, Lord, calm their storms.  The raging seems to be almost unbearable yet I pray we would all keep our focus on you and hear you as you remind us, "I'm here.  Don't be afraid."

No comments:

Post a Comment