"AND LET US RUN WITH ENDURANCE THE RACE GOD HAS SET BEFORE US." Hebrews 12:3a

Some days I just feel like a frog in a frying pan...

There's a story that's been told about two frogs who fell into a vat of cream. These frogs knew they would soon die if they didn't keep paddling as fast as they could yet, try as they might, they could not jump out. It was not long before the first little frog became too tired to go on. He gave up, and, alas, he drowned in that vat of cream. The second frog persevered until he eventually churned that cream into butter. He was able to stand on top of the butter and hop out of the vat safe and sound - though very, very tired!

I remembered this little fable often during the time that my brother was sick. No matter how much pain he was in or how bleak the future looked, he kept leaning on God and fighting the good fight. When it took 3 1/2 years to receive his transplant - he kept fighting. When he developed complications from the transplant - he kept fighting. When he spent 9 months in the hospital away from his family and friends - he kept fighting. When his body literally petrified, leaving him paralyzed - he kept fighting. When he was in excruciating pain - he kept fighting.

It was not long before the mantra FROG - Fully Rely On God - began to have a deeper meaning to us. He was still leaning on God and fighting the good fight until God answered our prayers to heal him by taking him Home. That was eight years ago, but I still miss him dearly. And every time I see a frog, I think of him and feel challenged to Fully Rely On God - to fight the good fight - no matter what life throws my way. That's what this blog is about - the things God is teaching me and the tools He is giving me to walk that walk. Or should I say hop that hop - because sometimes life just feels like a great big frying pan!


Friday, January 15, 2010

You Asked Your Daughter to What!?

Our pastor challenged us to read a chapter of the New Testament every day this year so I’ve been reading Matthew lately. Have you ever noticed how God seems to slip His message into every sermon, every passage, every devotion you read or hear during that time? Yesterday’s passage was Matthew 14 (since it January 14, of course!). I’ve read this lots of times before and heard numerous sermons preached about it. I’ve even taught portions of this passage, but today God gave me a new perspective about what appears to be His theme for me this year – or at least for awhile – focus. Have you ever noticed the number of people who lost their focus in this passage alone? And, wow, the consequences they paid!


Herodias’ focus was on revenge against John the Baptist. Her anger consumed her to the point that it poisoned even her loved ones. She hated him so much she got her own daughter to ask her own father to behead a man. If that wasn’t enough she had her request that head be BROUGHT TO HER. I can’t imagine hating anyone so much that I would want to plan their death, but I definitely wouldn’t plot something so vile with one of my own children! And then to request her to have a severed head brought to her? No way! The very idea of having it brought to me turns my stomach, but I think I would sooner die than ask my child to have it brought to her. What horrible consequences Herodias’ focus on revenge had for her, her daughter, and Herod – death, destruction, sin, hatred, regret….just to name a few!

Wow! What a strong warning not to allow hatred and revenge to seep into our hearts and minds! How destructive!

Lord, guard my heart against hatred and revenge. Help me love those who I feel have done wrong against me. May I see them through your eyes and not mine. May I ever be mindful that my actions and reactions have consequences not only for me but for those around me – including those I love so dearly!

No comments:

Post a Comment