"AND LET US RUN WITH ENDURANCE THE RACE GOD HAS SET BEFORE US." Hebrews 12:3a

Some days I just feel like a frog in a frying pan...

There's a story that's been told about two frogs who fell into a vat of cream. These frogs knew they would soon die if they didn't keep paddling as fast as they could yet, try as they might, they could not jump out. It was not long before the first little frog became too tired to go on. He gave up, and, alas, he drowned in that vat of cream. The second frog persevered until he eventually churned that cream into butter. He was able to stand on top of the butter and hop out of the vat safe and sound - though very, very tired!

I remembered this little fable often during the time that my brother was sick. No matter how much pain he was in or how bleak the future looked, he kept leaning on God and fighting the good fight. When it took 3 1/2 years to receive his transplant - he kept fighting. When he developed complications from the transplant - he kept fighting. When he spent 9 months in the hospital away from his family and friends - he kept fighting. When his body literally petrified, leaving him paralyzed - he kept fighting. When he was in excruciating pain - he kept fighting.

It was not long before the mantra FROG - Fully Rely On God - began to have a deeper meaning to us. He was still leaning on God and fighting the good fight until God answered our prayers to heal him by taking him Home. That was eight years ago, but I still miss him dearly. And every time I see a frog, I think of him and feel challenged to Fully Rely On God - to fight the good fight - no matter what life throws my way. That's what this blog is about - the things God is teaching me and the tools He is giving me to walk that walk. Or should I say hop that hop - because sometimes life just feels like a great big frying pan!


Saturday, January 9, 2010

A blog? Seriously, God?

A blog. I mean, seriously, blogs are for the young, hip generation. I enjoy reading them, but writing them? I’ve been arguing with God about this one for quite awhile now. But the other day God told me to quit being such a Moses (in so many words), and, well, here I am.


God’s been speaking to me a lot lately about meditation. I’ve been going through a study by Jennifer Rothschild called Me, Myself, and Lies, and I’ve come to truly appreciate its value on a new level. We all meditate every day so it’s not like I just started or anything. It’s not a question of IF we do but WHAT we do if you get my drift. Meditating is, in a way, focusing. He’s really been challenging me this week. Where is my focus? Do I focus on truths or lies? Do I focus on God or the world? Do I focus on what is pure and honorable and worthy of praise or on worries and lies and fears? Turns out my focus – my minute by minute meditations – are the foundation of this blog. Now, I still don’t understand why it isn’t enough to just write them in my journal, but that isn’t so important to me anymore. I’ve come to the realization this blog isn’t about ME – because it is true that there isn’t really anything about me that is truly interesting enough or worthy enough to warrant being posted on a blog. I’ve come to realize this blog isn’t even really about YOU – because it actually doesn’t matter if anybody ever reads a word I post. This blog is about God. It is about meditating – focusing – on Him and all the amazing things He has done in the past and is doing every day. It is about thinking on His word and listening to the truths He has to tell me for that moment in time. It is about bringing glory and honor to His name and forgetting about me and you or anything else. So if you are here reading this, it is because God has invited you, and I would tell you that I certainly don’t understand why except that His ways are above my ways and His thoughts are above my thoughts - so welcome! Come on in! Pull up a chair and let’s meditate together, and “may the words of our mouth(s) and the meditations of our heart(s) be pleasing” to Him! Amen! and Amen!

“Lord, I give this blog to you. Guide my meditations day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute, thought my thought. May they be truly pleasing to you and bring glory and honor to your wonderful, magnificent, holy name! You are great and greatly to be praised!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment