"AND LET US RUN WITH ENDURANCE THE RACE GOD HAS SET BEFORE US." Hebrews 12:3a

Some days I just feel like a frog in a frying pan...

There's a story that's been told about two frogs who fell into a vat of cream. These frogs knew they would soon die if they didn't keep paddling as fast as they could yet, try as they might, they could not jump out. It was not long before the first little frog became too tired to go on. He gave up, and, alas, he drowned in that vat of cream. The second frog persevered until he eventually churned that cream into butter. He was able to stand on top of the butter and hop out of the vat safe and sound - though very, very tired!

I remembered this little fable often during the time that my brother was sick. No matter how much pain he was in or how bleak the future looked, he kept leaning on God and fighting the good fight. When it took 3 1/2 years to receive his transplant - he kept fighting. When he developed complications from the transplant - he kept fighting. When he spent 9 months in the hospital away from his family and friends - he kept fighting. When his body literally petrified, leaving him paralyzed - he kept fighting. When he was in excruciating pain - he kept fighting.

It was not long before the mantra FROG - Fully Rely On God - began to have a deeper meaning to us. He was still leaning on God and fighting the good fight until God answered our prayers to heal him by taking him Home. That was eight years ago, but I still miss him dearly. And every time I see a frog, I think of him and feel challenged to Fully Rely On God - to fight the good fight - no matter what life throws my way. That's what this blog is about - the things God is teaching me and the tools He is giving me to walk that walk. Or should I say hop that hop - because sometimes life just feels like a great big frying pan!


Monday, February 1, 2010

As Humble As A Little Child

Jesus called a little child to him and put the child among them. Then he said, “I tell you the truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like the little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven. So anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.” Matthew 18:2-4.


     “As humble as a little child” – that phrase has rattled around in my brain all week. At first my reaction was, “Kids aren’t humble.” Let’s face it. We are born with a “Life is all about me” mentality. I’m hungry; feed me – NOW. I’m bored; play with me – NOW. I’m sleepy; put me to bed - NOW. I’m awake; come and get me – NOW. I’m wet; change me - NOW. The list goes on and on and on and the only thing that changes as we get older is what we demand, not the fact that we demand it - NOW. The term humble child just seemed like too much of an oxymoron until I meditated on it for awhile. Lord, what do you mean by “humble like a child”? What would a humble child look like? How would that apply to me?
     Children ask a lot of questions. Sometimes they ask so many questions we think our heads will explode, but we have to face the fact that asking questions is how they learn. But with all the questions they can rattle off in a day, there are certain questions they never seem to ask. Young kids don’t question their parents’ love – not even abused kids. They don’t question that tomorrow will be here or that their needs will be provided. The faith of a little child can often be almost tenacious. When our youngest daughter, was eight years old my cousin’s baby was born with a life-threatening heart defect. Kayla prayed for him every day, with an unwavering belief that everything was going to be alright. Today that little baby is a happy, healthy all-American boy. Perhaps it is okay that we ask God questions, but faith demands that we wholeheartedly and tenaciously believe in Who He is and what He can do.
     I am 49 years old and I don’t THINK my dad can fix anything, I KNOW he can fix everything. Nobody could ever tell me differently when I was a child, and nobody will ever be able to tell me differently. If one of my toys broke, I instantly took it to my dad, knowing he would make it all better. And he did! Now, sometimes it wasn’t the wisest thing to do. Sometimes the safest thing to do was throw the broken toy away. Of course, I didn’t like that answer, but it was for my own good. It wasn’t because he couldn’t fix it but because he shouldn’t fix it. The same goes for our relationship with Jesus. When something in our life is broken, our first reaction should be to take it to Him and ask Him to fix it, knowing beyond all doubt that He can. Too many times we stubbornly try to fix it ourselves and get hurt on the “pieces” when we need to rely on His wisdom. He is right there wanting to help. He also knows when the answer should be “No” this doesn’t need to be fixed.
     We have all watched a small child who has gotten hurt. The first he or she does is look around for mommy or daddy. The only thing that is going to make everything better is to feel their arms holding you safe and sound and telling you sweet words of comfort. Shouldn’t we be that way when life deals us hurtful blows? Do we climb up in God’s lap for comfort or do we wallow in our own pain and sorrow? He is, after all, there all the time.
     In Matthew 19 it never crossed the minds of the children who went to see Jesus that He might not want them there. Can’t you see them running across the field to see who could get to Him first? Can’t you see them trying to see who could climb up on His lap first? Can’t you hear them all talking at once, trying to get Him to hear them above all the others? Whether timid or bold I can’t imagine one child held back trying to decide whether or not Jesus wanted him to approach. How many of us have spent countless hours wondering if Jesus loves us, though? How many of us have held back from approaching Him because we don’t feel worthy? How many of us have listened to the world tell us to go away and leave Him alone? The faith of a child never considers these as options. Why wouldn’t Jesus want them there? Why wouldn’t Jesus want you there? He is calling us, right? Of course, He wants us to sit at His feet. He wants us to spend time with Him. He wants to give us His blessings just as He did the children.


Lord, help me be humble like a child. Help me have faith like a child. Help me not to take myself so seriously – to consider myself so important – to put myself in the center of attention. Help me keep you in the center of attention – to make you the most important – to believe with every fiber of my being without one second of doubt about who you are and what you can do. You are all knowing. You are all seeing. Your ways are above my ways. Your thoughts are above my ways. I sit at your feet, longing to hear your voice and feel your touch. Thank you, Lord, for the privilege to be here. Thank you for your love. Thank you for your Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment