"AND LET US RUN WITH ENDURANCE THE RACE GOD HAS SET BEFORE US." Hebrews 12:3a

Some days I just feel like a frog in a frying pan...

There's a story that's been told about two frogs who fell into a vat of cream. These frogs knew they would soon die if they didn't keep paddling as fast as they could yet, try as they might, they could not jump out. It was not long before the first little frog became too tired to go on. He gave up, and, alas, he drowned in that vat of cream. The second frog persevered until he eventually churned that cream into butter. He was able to stand on top of the butter and hop out of the vat safe and sound - though very, very tired!

I remembered this little fable often during the time that my brother was sick. No matter how much pain he was in or how bleak the future looked, he kept leaning on God and fighting the good fight. When it took 3 1/2 years to receive his transplant - he kept fighting. When he developed complications from the transplant - he kept fighting. When he spent 9 months in the hospital away from his family and friends - he kept fighting. When his body literally petrified, leaving him paralyzed - he kept fighting. When he was in excruciating pain - he kept fighting.

It was not long before the mantra FROG - Fully Rely On God - began to have a deeper meaning to us. He was still leaning on God and fighting the good fight until God answered our prayers to heal him by taking him Home. That was eight years ago, but I still miss him dearly. And every time I see a frog, I think of him and feel challenged to Fully Rely On God - to fight the good fight - no matter what life throws my way. That's what this blog is about - the things God is teaching me and the tools He is giving me to walk that walk. Or should I say hop that hop - because sometimes life just feels like a great big frying pan!


Thursday, January 21, 2010

You Can't Handle the Truth!

     I’ve been taking a little assessment of all I’ve learned over the past couple of weeks as I’ve been reading Matthew. God has been telling me to focus loud and clear. Focus my thoughts, my worship, my prayers, my emotions – every fiber of my being – on Him and Him alone – no matter what. He has spoken to me about focusing my mind and eyes on Him. Today, He addressed another area – my hearing.
     You see, chapter 17 has that troubling phrase again, “Don’t tell anyone.” To me this still insinuates that someone has done something they're ashamed of, but that is certainly not the case here. We know Jesus never sinned so what could He possibly have to hide? Nothing. The problem wasn’t with Him, of course. It was with the disciples for one. They had seen something pretty amazing in Chapter 17, and I'm sure they were trying to figure out how they were going to explain it to everybody else, but Jesus told them to keep it under their hat because they weren’t ready to share it yet. Ouch!  They didn’t totally understand it. Just between you and me, under the same situation, I'm afraid I would be thinking, "No joke, Jesus.  And no one is going to believe me anyway!  Are you going to explain this one?"  God did have a plan for them pertaining to this incident, though, when the time was right!  They needed to wait until He had finished preparing them. It is not always easy to hear Him say, “Wait” but it is so important that I wait on His timing and look for the plan He has for me right now. And if I’m not focused on Him, I’ll miss out on that preparation and won’t be equipped when He calls. How embarrassing!  That is not acceptable at all.  I must stay focused and listen!
     Second, the people around them weren’t ready to hear the message yet. How humbling! I’ve simply never thought about the possibility that God had a message for me, but I might not be ready to hear it. I guess I've just taken it for granted that the Word is there when I'm good and ready for it - on MY timing.  Silly, self-centered, childish me.  No wonder He says there are some things I am just not ready for!  That invokes so many emotions I don’t even know where to begin! Oh, Lord, may it never be! The people at that time were looking for a Savior, but they were looking for a Messiah who would come in as a military leader and take over the world. They were focused on their own expectations instead of what Jesus had to tell them. They were not willing to accept the truth over what they wanted to be true. No matter what is going on in the world around me, I must listen to His direction – listen to His word – and not listen to the world – not listen to my own fears or desires.  God and God alone knows the truth.  God and God alone knows the future.  God and God alone knows what is good, and perfect, and right.  He alone has all power.  Why would I ever want to lean on My own puny little understanding?  I'll let me down every time.  He never does!
    
Lord, I give you my ears. May they always hear your voice above the hustle and bustle around me. Lord, may I have the patience to sit at your feet as you prepare me for the future. May I stay humble and focused on You that I may be ready to hear your message.  Teach me what I need to know right now, right here for the situations I will deal with today and the people I will encounter today.  Teach me what I need to prepare me for tomorrow that I will be ready when the time comes to answer your call.  Help me to never take You, Your message, or Your plan for granted.  Give me wisdom to discern your words from the lies the world promotes. Thank you, Lord, for your love and provision. Thank you for your word.  

Lord, when your message is wait, open my ears to listen to You.  When your message is "Go", make my feet swift and my actions bold.

No comments:

Post a Comment