"AND LET US RUN WITH ENDURANCE THE RACE GOD HAS SET BEFORE US." Hebrews 12:3a

Some days I just feel like a frog in a frying pan...

There's a story that's been told about two frogs who fell into a vat of cream. These frogs knew they would soon die if they didn't keep paddling as fast as they could yet, try as they might, they could not jump out. It was not long before the first little frog became too tired to go on. He gave up, and, alas, he drowned in that vat of cream. The second frog persevered until he eventually churned that cream into butter. He was able to stand on top of the butter and hop out of the vat safe and sound - though very, very tired!

I remembered this little fable often during the time that my brother was sick. No matter how much pain he was in or how bleak the future looked, he kept leaning on God and fighting the good fight. When it took 3 1/2 years to receive his transplant - he kept fighting. When he developed complications from the transplant - he kept fighting. When he spent 9 months in the hospital away from his family and friends - he kept fighting. When his body literally petrified, leaving him paralyzed - he kept fighting. When he was in excruciating pain - he kept fighting.

It was not long before the mantra FROG - Fully Rely On God - began to have a deeper meaning to us. He was still leaning on God and fighting the good fight until God answered our prayers to heal him by taking him Home. That was eight years ago, but I still miss him dearly. And every time I see a frog, I think of him and feel challenged to Fully Rely On God - to fight the good fight - no matter what life throws my way. That's what this blog is about - the things God is teaching me and the tools He is giving me to walk that walk. Or should I say hop that hop - because sometimes life just feels like a great big frying pan!


Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Don't go tell? Are you Sure?

     Here it is again! I’m a little ahead of the reading plan we’re using at the church. I read chapter 16 this morning, and that puzzling little phrase popped up again. Don’t go tell anybody.

     Now you would expect to hear this from a guilty person who doesn’t want anybody to know what they just did, but these words are coming from Jesus! And He has said them several times in these 16 short chapters. This has really been bothering me.
     In chapter 9 for instance Jesus healed two blind men and told them not to go tell anyone. Now, I don’t know about you, but if someone I knew was blind when I saw them yesterday but could see when I was them today, I think I would notice. You’d be pretty self-absorbed not to don’t you think? I’m reasonably sure everyone they knew – even casual acquaintances – wanted to know what happened. Newspaper cameras probably came to their house – well, they would if it happened today. Today Oprah would call and want them to be on her show. There might be a book contract. I don’t think they would be able to keep news like this on the down low. My commentary says Jesus didn’t want them to say anything because He didn’t want to be known just as that guy who heals everyone. He didn’t want the hype to overtake His reason for coming and choke out His message.
     Personally, I can’t help but wonder if a little mystery forded them more of an opportunity to share. If they had run home, ranting and raving about how Jesus had healed them, I think some people would have checked them off as fanatics and walked on; however, since they went home and went about their business, their actions spoke volumes and got EVERYONE’s attention. This tells me my actions sometimes speak louder than my words do. Now, this doesn’t mean I am not to share the Gospel. In chapter 10 He tells the disciples to shout His message, but perhaps there are situations where my actions need to precede the message. Oh my, no pressure, but this points out to me how important my actions are because I don’t know who is watching and when they may be watching. I also don’t know without the Spirits guidance, when to speak and when to wait.  I must listen closely to the Spirit, and I can't do that if my mouth is constantly flapping!  Shhhhhh!  Robin, listen.

Guide my actions and my words today, Lord. Help me know what to say and when. Help my actions speak loud and clear of You and all You have done! Thank you, Jesus, for your wisdom and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment